Monday, January 11, 2010

Inspired/Convicted!?

Yesterday, our Pastor gave a great sermon. I left there feeling first convicted and then inspired to do better. Bottom line, I shouldn't be a passive Christian. If I really believe that Christ died on the cross and that there is a heaven that I'm going to, then what am I doing right now!? Honestly, I'm waiting for the opportunity to land in my lap and then I make sure that it's the right timing, and that I'm not going to offend anyone before I share Jesus with them. No! What is wrong with me! That's not love. There are moments when I have stepped out there on the ledge, but they are few and far between. There definitely should be more of them, and maybe, just maybe, they should be a normal occurrence. I have been noticing lately, that there are a handful of people in our church where you see real fruit. It seems like there is always someone new coming to faith in Jesus with them, someone that they have shown the way. So, I've been asking myself, "What is the difference between them and me?" It seems like they are continually stepping out there on the ledge and sharing their life with lost people. I want to do that! I cry out "Yes, Lord! Use me!" But then I have this negative side that rises the question, "how do I do all that and balance the rest of my life (kids, husband, work, church commitments, etc.)?" Part of me feels like all that becomes an excuse, yet they are genuine obligations. Then there's the question, "How do I realistically be a part of this world, yet not of it? And right now what is even heavier upon my heart is, how do I have my kids be in the world, yet not of it?" There are times when I feel like all I am doing is sheltering them and not letting them be salt. I'm teaching them God's word and His principles, yet I'm not teaching them how to use that in the world which they will live in after they leave my house? How do I really get them to understand how many lost souls there are out there, and that they are people we love? So, I guess my point is with all this blabber, is that my New Year's inspiration is to Live My Life In Light of Eternity, and to some how teach that to my children! That seems like a huge statement, so I'm going to start with taking it one day at a time and picking four people with who I can connect with and share Jesus (and who knows, they may not like me after our conversation!)! And the rest, I'm still working on!

3 comments:

Kaci Mae said...

Hi Kelly! I like your post! It is inspiring for me and I didn't even hear the sermon. When you said that maybe they wouldn't like you after the conversation, I thought of the words of someone wise who advised us to bring it up as soon as possible so that it is not weird later. And I would add to it that then you can keep using your lifestyle after you have already put your faith out there...too many people wait too long to tell someone the most important thing about themselves and then they never find the right time later. I will pray for you (and me) in this regard when I think of it! I love New Year's Resolutions...they make me feel hopeful :)

Tiffani said...

Great thoughts, Kelly. Things I have been thinking about with the coming of the New Year as well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Kelly! I am inspired/convicted as well. Our high school group is named ALIVE (Always Living In View of Eternity) and I think about that a lot. I pray that God will give us fruit and not let that conviction fade away!