Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas in Waves

Christmas this year came in three different waves! Our first wave started a couple days before Christmas with my family. We had everybody at our house except for my brother and his wife, but we got lucky enough to have his kids! My mom and dad had all of their eight grand kids together, which it has been a while. They all sure have fun together.
My mom gave me one of her nativity sets this year. It happen to be the one that we had while I was growing up. It's a wooden set and pretty beat up. One of the shepherds foot has broken off and been re glued, the angel's wing has been chewed by the dog, and there is several scratches and scuffs on the rest of the pieces but, I can remember spending hours playing with it as a child. Every year this nativity set was one of my favorite parts of bringing out the Christmas decorations. When I brought it home, I really didn't know where I was going to put it and I just left it on the dining table. The girls found it and started playing with it before I could even explain it. So, needless to say, many memories of my own came flooding back. Some traditions just happen naturally.
"I want some of the goodies too!"

Tobyn has convinced Kyler that he can do a better job feeding himself! (He had a bath after this feeding)

The eight Troup Grand kids!

This is our attempt at a family photo Christmas Eve. I just can't seem to get this family photo thing down.

Our second wave of Christmas started Christmas Eve. After our church service we had a couple of friends over for dinner. My mother helped out with our advent and gave the kids a lesson in "What God wants for Christmas." With 9 little ones under the age of seven, I think she did great!
Christmas morning! Here's the girls opening their stockings.


This is the perfect age to give Tobyn clothes! His favorite presents were the ribbons!


He was bushed after the busy morning. He was satisfied with sissy's blanket and the couch!

Trying out the new tramp!

Rayna's natural modeling skills, showing off new jewelry! Christmas day was ended with a candle lite, fondue dinner. Taylin actually ate more meat then I've ever seen her. If only we could do fondue every night for dinner!

Our third wave came two days after Christmas with Daniel's brothers family. We started out with high expectations of things to do, only to find out Taylin had strep on their second day here. Then we got lucky enough to have all four little girls come down with it! In spite of it all, the girls still had a blast playing together and yes, being sick together!

Our New Year's celebration was quite the smash! We counted down to 9pm and then celebrated in our pj's with confetti, poppers, streamers, pop its, whistles, and of course sparkling cider! (It was quite the mess to clean up afterwards)






It's amazing what grown men will do when there is a competitive spirit and boredom!

On the last night the girls decided to put on a play about princesses and fairies and ? Carys was the director/narrator and the other girls were the dancers! They set the stage, had costumes and props!
Sledding!



Snuggling on the couch watching movies while sick!


Christmas is sure fun to celebrate with lots of family and friends! It gives a constant reminder of how important Jesus birthday is. Merry Christmas (late)!

2 comments:

carol said...

Thanks for the Christmas pictures. It looked like alot of fun even though the girls got sick. Love, Gma
Carol

Mitchell Family said...

Merry belated Christmas! Looks like you had a great time with the family. Kelly, how you manage to accomplish making everything so festive with 3 small kids is incredible.