Sunday, August 16, 2009

Allowance

Our latest thing lately has been to initiate an allowance for the kids. We wanted Taylin to start learning some of the principles of money and Rayna, honestly, is just along for the ride, but I do actually think she is learning a lot. We have initiated the typical plan of giving them money in return for doing some chores (making beds, emptying the dishwasher, cleaning off the table after dinner, and picking up their toys). If they whine, fight, complain, or don't finish their chores in time then they get money taken away (a nickel for each occurrence). They also have to give some of their money to God, save some of it, and then the rest is theirs. We have had some responses from the girls that have been interesting and I don't think I really expected some of them. I thought I was going to be the one teaching, but I've actually learned some things about my girls.

The first time the girls got their allowance and I explained the need to give some of it to God, Taylin was very upset. She did not want to give her money away. I tried to explain to her why we give our money to God and that it all comes from him in the first place. She was still not satisfied. This made me realize, "Wow, this really is something that we need to work on with her!" Then there was Rayna response, "I'll give God my money, he can have more."

Then, yesterday, Daniel and I took the girls to the store so that they could spend their money on what they wanted. Taylin had decided at home that she wanted to spend all of her money, $7.33. Rayna had decided that she didn't want to spend all of her money, but that she wanted to save some it. So, she left $3 at home. Once at the store, they both found some candy for about a dollar that they wanted to buy, and then they went to the toy section and looked for a while. Taylin found a princess camera with a camera case that she wanted, and that would take all of her money. Well, Rayna first thought she wanted the same thing and was about to get it and at the last minute decided she didn't want to spend her money. She did decide to get her candy, though. I thought for sure that she would be sad that she didn't end up with a new toy, but she was really happy about her decision to save her money. Taylin spent all of her money except 4 cents, and she was just as happy about her decision. I have one saver, and one with a hole in her pocket! I already knew I had at least one spender, but I didn't know I had a saver. It's interesting to see their personalities come out. I wonder what other things I will learn about my kids through this experiment with money!

1 comment:

Mama Mia 4 said...

great ideas, you are a good inspirations to start doing this as well. You make me curious to know how my girls will react to money. Good Job!