Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Who's Watching You?

As parents, we have so much influence over our children. Influence that we can use for good or bad.  Not only are the words we say influential, but also the actions we do.  I'm sure you've seen this throughout your parenting from time to time, kids mimicking us while pretending to be like us. I can remember my girls playing house and putting their baby dolls to their chest, pretending to nurse. Hmmm..... who did they get that from? Could it have been me nursing their baby brother? 

Now that they are older, hitting those teen and preteen years, what will they choose to mimic? Will it be my attitude I give their dad when I'm not happy with one of his choices, will it be how I yell at them when they pushed me to my limit, or possibly, will it be how I roll my eyes at someone when I am appalled at their words. Quite honestly, the list goes on.  Will they copy how I spend my money, my time, my giving patterns, my laziness, my phone usage, my TV habits, and on and on. I am overwhelmed. How can I possibly measure up to be a good role model?

I wish I had all the right answers, but truth is, I don't. I was reading this morning in my quiet time in 2 Chronicles about how King Ahaziah was evil because of how his mother advised him. "He also walked in the ways of the house of Ahab, for his mother advised him to do wickedly," 2 Chronicles 22:3.  That's a lot of power given to that woman, and I have the same amount. That makes my heart beat a little faster, my hands become a little sweaty, and my tongue a little dry.

God's grace is sufficient for me. His mercies are new every morning. Through his strength, I can do all things. When I remember God's words, my breathing slows down and a new peace overtakes me. Not on my own can I do this thing called parenting, mentoring, being a role model, but through Him I can manage, I can learn, and even maybe thrive. God gave me my little ones because he knows that I am the best person to be their mama. He thinks the same of you and your kiddos.

I will not take lightly this job of mothering. I will do my best and give my all, but I will rest in the knowledge that God's strength, grace, and mercy are my greatest tools.  As I pray for myself in advising and training my kids in this life, I will pray the same for you and that you will feel God's grace, mercy, and strength throughout this journey.

2 Corinthians 12:9
Lamentations 3:22-23
Philippians 4:13

2 Chronicles 22:3

1 comment:

Oscar said...

I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com